Sunday, July 23, 2006

Ambivalent

I veer between thinking I want someone to love me, and knowing that I start to suffocate if I feel tied down. Can you feel loved and not trapped? It's so easy to feel pressed down, sucked dry, more incomplete somehow because the person you're with requires every strained fiber of your being just to smile at them. Freedom is a marvelous thing.
But then I think about those times when I need a shoulder that's bigger and stronger than mine; when my body wants to be touched; when I need someone to get the door because my arms are loaded down with stuff; when I want to illuminate someone else's life because I think I've got something to share; when, in the future, I won't have anything to offer other than my love and the culmination of my experiences...Those are the times when I reach out for someone on the other side of the bed, and find the emptiness daunting.

Maybe I should focus on giving love instead of receiving it.

4 Comments:

Blogger Satandit said...

Hi, am new to your blog-was just visiting. I know exactly what you feel. It's kinda funny too - we are fiercly independent, and yet we need 'someone' to depend on.
Giving love is the best way to go, yet we need to receive it to give it out too,sometimes..dont you think ?
Nice meeting and reading your blog.
Love your poems.

1:28 AM  
Blogger Ajeya said...

My first time around here. Interesting post.

7:16 AM  
Blogger TJ said...

interesting!! good work!

9:31 AM  
Blogger poemer said...

satandit: thanks! we can either be love or not. if love flows from us, it'll return to us as well. even if it's not in the form we expect.
ajeya: I checked out your blog...I enjoyed it.
tj: i left a comment on your 'poem a day' site, but was signed on as 'pictures'. nice concept!

10:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home