Sunday, December 30, 2007

Sated

I took the day off, and we went shopping in Mobile.
We had grits and eggs at the Coffee Cup first,
then headed west on the interstate.
The ride was comfortable: we talked, we laughed,
you held my hand while your other one rested on the steering wheel.

When we got to the mall, you told me to pick out whatever I wanted.
I didn't tell you that you walking with you arm around me was all I wanted,
and that i didn't need anything else.
That would have sounded trite.
Besides, the Christmas present you were getting me
was already extravagant.
So I said nothing, and just smiled.
You put your arm around me as we strolled through the crowds.
We wandered around, looking for the Apple store.
Turns out the closest one's Birmingham.

We got some coffee at Starbuck's, and wondered where to go next.
I didn't care. I was with you.
We bought some gifts for the kids at Best Buy, then got back on the road.
You got on-line and ordered my gift when we got home,
then you made me feel good all over again.
That perfect fit.

We ate out later-a tapas place downtown-and it was delicious.
It was our favorite place to go when you still lived here,
besides the Italian restaurant we went to the night you got in.
Feeling you near-your hand holding mine, your arm around my waist:
I always want to feel that security, that sensation of fullness,
that feeling of being sated.
I wasn't worried about losing you again;
doubts will creep in over time, I'm sure.
But that day, my cup was as full as it could be, without running over.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home